The Academy of Theatre Arts was established in August, 2003. The University of Mumbai initiated this Academy keeping in mind the dearth of theatre training institutes in Mumbai, despite the city being the main centre of theatre activity in the country. The Academy has taken long stride at national and international level within a short span of fifteen years and it has become one of the leading theatre training institutes in India. The Academy of Theatre Arts offers a two – year full time comprehensive Master’s degree course in theatre arts.
This course is an integrated course based on the structures of the world renowned theatre training schools as well as rich traditional & modern theatre training practices of India.
The subjects academy offers are:- Dramatic Literature and Theatre History ( Western, Eastern & Indian Drama ) Stage Craft and Theatre Technique ( Theatre Architecture, Set Design, Light Designing, Costume Design, Makeup & Music Design) Acting ( Body Movement, Rope Mallakhamb, Martial Art, Voice & Speech, Traditional and Modern Dances, Yoga, Various Styles & Schools of Acting. ) Production & Direction ( Designing of the Production, Production Process & Direction. ) Participation in Departmental Productions, Play Writing, Theatre Management and Art Administration. The course emphasizes the ratio of 40:60% for theory and practicals.
The students are given ample opportunities to watch and study plays and interact with theatre personalities at various festivals, performances and seminars thereby exposing them to current theatre practices. Fieldwork and field projects are given adequate importance in the programming of the Academy.
- A] To create an additional avenue of self-employment for students of the University of Mumbai and also to benefit the cultural arena by providing it with suitably trained Persons in the field of Theatre Arts and Dramatics.
- B] To prepare students to exploit opportunities in the field of Theatre and other Performing Arts, Art Administration, Theatre Research and Education, Films, Electronic Media and Mass Communication.
- C] To provide adequate professional understanding about Acting, Production, Direction, Stagecraft, Playwriting and Theatre Criticism with adequate emphasis on theory and practical.
- D] To inculcate training and a practical approach using modern technology in the fields of Theatre and the performing Arts.
- E] To train all round theatre professionals who will provide leadership to the theatre culture of the country and work as facilitators for national and international theatres.
- F] Academy will undertake to plan and implement degree and diploma courses and conduct short-term, intensive, specialized courses as per the requirements.
- G] Academy will also undertake to plan research facilities.
- H] The overall approach will be flexible and open to accept new challenges and execute programme independently in collaboration and even as an extension activity in order to provide a professional theatre training model of the highest standards.